The Society for Collegiate Travel & Expense Management
SCTEM is the leading membership organization created to meet the needs of academic travel and expense administrators who manage programs in higher education. We’re focused on the unique challenges faced by academic institutions regarding all aspects of travel. SCTEM is the only organization with this mission and we strive to respond to the needs of our members.
We help our members:
- Bid, negotiate and manage contracts with travel suppliers including airlines, hotels, ground transportation, corporate/purchasing card providers and vendors of web-based software, including travel and expense management tools. Click here for Sample RFPs.
- Comply with IRS, state, NCAA and funding-source regulations by developing comprehensive expense policies. Manage travel reimbursements and supplier payments, and assume fiduciary responsibility for travel expenses related to federal grants and contracts. Click here for NCAA Regulations.
- Minimize risk by developing policies that monitor exposure, provide crisis management and provide appropriate oversight of agreements to limit exposure to the institutions. Click here for Mitigating International Travel Risk download.
- Develop and maintain software systems to support and integrate travel and finance related programs. Click here for Reporting Systems information.
- Create partnerships with travel-related suppliers. Click here for Leading The Charge presentation.
- Network with other travel administrators at our annual conference.
Hosted by Michigan State University, SCTEM is governed by a volunteer Advisory Board made up of academic travel managers and travel suppliers.
We provide opportunities for professional development – including our annual conference – featuring members/leaders in the travel industry.
Annual conference is for SCTEM members ONLY. But your membership is free. Sign up at the User Login at left to create your new account!
SCTEM National Conference
SCTEM provides an opportunity for representatives from more than 200 colleges, universities and academic-related centers to assemble during our annual national conference. The conference location rotates each year, providing a focus on the region’s academic institutions.
This industry-specific conference provides a unique opportunity to gain practical knowledge and develop strong professional networking contacts that support collaboration throughout the year.
More than 30 industry suppliers host exhibits during SCTEM’s national conference. The conference includes a two-day forum during which suppliers can showcase their products and services, and network with collegiate attendees. Because all attendees are encouraged to participate in the education sessions provided at each conference, suppliers have the opportunity for greater understanding of the needs and challenges of academic travel programs.
For a recap of the 2012 conference click here.